Monday, January 25, 2010

Fashion


Fashion is a complicated area to be an expert in. Maybe that's because, as already pointed by Mademoiselle Chanel, many people tend to mistake fashion by style. How can you argue about style? How can you teach people how to dress themselves! It's absurd if you think about it. You may help them feel good about themselves, flattering a little bit of this, showing a little bit of that, but that's not what usually happens. Fashion industry is nowadays, and maybe it has always been since its birth as an industry, a field that makes money by making people feel bad about themselves. I don't believe, though, this is the idea that drives the ego of many talented and creative minds in fashion. I confess, that when I saw John Galliano's designs for Dior's spring 2009 couture collection I discovered my love for fashion. It was a whole bright, beautiful and glamourous new world to me. That is beauty, and from that moment on that became, for me, the most important quality of fashion. It may be innovative, it may be comfortable, but when it comes to a fashion show, an escape from day to day practicality, I still chose beauty. And, for the record, I don't approve human suffering to fit certain rules of fashion and beauty. Beauty for me equals pleasure, even if the pleasure is acquired from hard work. Hard work is only a sacrifice when unpleasant. That being said...

No comments:

Post a Comment