Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Phantom of the Opera


Those that had never seen The Phantom of the Opera until today raise their hands! Yes, it is true. Just now I was able to catch the last thirty minutes of the most recent, quite old indeed, version of the story. And why am I writing this in a blog about fashion? Well, as I expand my views of what is fashion, I will write anything that even vaguely reminds me of it. Not that the movie is vaguely about fashion. It has a lot! to do with it. Emmy Rossum big curly hair, her silky skin... What about those marvellous dresses and the powerful scenarios?! For what I remember, it was not well acclaimed by the critics, but again, who cares? My favorite movie director is Antonioni, but that does not colide with the fact that I love Pride and Prejudice and almost every Andrew Mccarthy's movie from the 80s. Yeah! That's right! Entertainment is like art, and like love, there will always be someone who will see some beauty in it.
Anyway, back to the phantom, I was chocked, and even mesmerized, to see the colors and the passion of the scenes, and how surprisingly corny it turned out to be. As corny as it may sound, it made me actually think of my childhood, when I used to dream one day I would also wear those big fat layered dresses like Emmy Rossum's. And I also imagined I would be disputed by two handsome men that would love me deeply, and would die for me, even though I really wished none of them would. Complication was so delightful at that age. I used to wear red lipstick and my mother would not tell it was a ho's lipstick color. And I would walk around the house in her big shoes and she would not criticize me for being inadequate. I am sure my sense of style, and the fun of fashion were at their highest when I was a child. Would it be my mother the first fashion critic I ever had?
Maybe. But she was in fact also my first fashion model, because until today there is no one I consider more fashionable and elegant than her. And I am not saying that to please her. She will never read this blog, so, trust me when I say it.
Overall, it was really nice to see Gerard Butler at his prime, like Andrew Mccarthy was one upon a time. It feels good to look at the past and see some of the romantic bullshit we have lost. It is like childhood, you know, deep down, maybe deep deep down, it is still within us.

No comments:

Post a Comment